- Running back is one of the top remaining positions of need in Virginia’s 2012 class, which is filling up fast. UVa has made the final four for Blackman (Murfreesboro, TN) rising senior RB I’Tavius Mathers. Kentucky, Mississippi, and South Carolina round out the list of finalists for the 5’11″, 185-pound prospect, the state of Tennessee’s Gatorade Player of the Year in 2010. As a junior last season, Mathers rushed for 2,614 yards and 31 touchdowns, averaging over 10 yards per carry in the process.
North Hall’s (Gainesville, GA) Imani Cross, Broughton’s (Raleigh, N.C.) Chris Mangus, and Franklin’s (Somerset, N.J.) Kye Morgan are three other running back targets the Hoos are seriously in the running with. Cross, a 6’1″, 220-pound bruiser, committed to Tennessee earlier this year.
- Keeping in the offensive backfield, Virginia already has one quarterback commitment in the class, from Pennsylvania product Matt Johns. The Cavs are also in the running with 6’5″, 195-pound Greyson Lambert, who visited Charlottesville this weekend. Lambert, a rising senior out of Wayne County H.S. in Jesup, Georgia, has many other offers as well, including Alabama.
- UVa fell short in its pursuit of St. Joseph’s (Hammonton, N.J.) 2012 class linebacker Kaiwan Lewis, who committed to South Carolina earlier this week. The 6’2″, 230-pound prospect was one of Virginia’s top targets in this class. Virginia does have a commitment from athletic Max Valles, a 6’5″, 220-pound prospect out of the same high school as Lewis. Valles, who committed to the Hoos in June, could potentially play tight end, outside linebacker or defensive end on the next level.
- Virginia currently has 18 commitments in its 2012 class. Number 19 could well come on Tuesday, August 2, when Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA) defensive end Eli Harold will announce his college choice at a 5:00 p.m. press conference at his high school. The 6’4″, 220-pound Harold will choose Florida, Penn State, or Virginia. TheSabre.com will be on hand for coverage of the event, so stay tuned to the EDGE Subscribers Board Tuesday night for further coverage.
- Worcester Academy (Worcester, MA) rising senior wide receiver Canaan Severin told me he plans to visit UVa in August for a preseason practice. Boston College and Penn State are two other likely preseason practice destinations for Severin, who is also considering offers from Connecticut, Iowa, Michigan State and Missouri.
I’ll have more on the 6’3″, 210-pound prospect in an EDGE article on Monday.
- One of UVa’s most highly acclaimed commitments of the 2012 class, Norfolk Christian (Norfolk, VA) linebacker Kwontie Moore, has impressed this offseason. Most recently, the 6’1″, 240-pound Moore was invited to and partipated in The Opening, a Nike training event held in Oregon, as well as the Gridiron Kings National 7-on-7 event in Orlando, Florida.
“I feel like a totally different player,” Moore said. “Last year, I just went out and played. I relied on my nose for the game. I’ve learned a lot of fundamentals. I’ve upgraded my game, like you’re supposed to when you’re a senior. I’m getting better. Going to Oregon and Orlando, those challenges made me better.”
Reigning state champion Norfolk Christian, which features two more UVa-bound prospects in DE Courtnye Wynn and DB/WR Wilfred Wahee, began preseason practice earlier this week.