The big news of the day focuses on state quarterback Phillip Sims, an Oscar Smith High School product that currently plays for Alabama. As mentioned in The Afternoon Break on Thursday, transfer rumors have been swirling around Sims this week and naturally that has the message boards buzzing. Check out the football board for multiple threads on the talented QB. Sims’ Twitter feed added to the speculation when he posted:
“The hardest thing to do in life is to say goodbye to the ppl we care about #realtweet”
So is Sims transferring from Alabama? Is UVa a potential destination? The rumor mill says yes, but there are no official reports out there on anything Sims related. That hasn’t stopped the speculation and debate as Cavalier fans suddenly are worried about having too many quarterbacks in competition just one year removed from having ZERO experienced players at that position entering the 2011 season. That doesn’t mention the QB depth and rotation problems late in the Al Groh era.
Sabre recruiting analyst Chris Horne says that Sims and UVa have been connected on the rumor circuit before. Horne remembers the highly touted Sims’ days at Oscar Smith and ranked him No. No. 1 in TheSabre.com’s rankings for the 2010 class.
“Sims was a 4-year starter for one of the state’s top high school football programs in Oscar Smith. In his time there, he was a highly productive and efficient quarterback, throwing for 33, 38, and 33 touchdowns in his final three seasons. The Tigers went 48-4 with him as the starting quarterback. What I remember being most impressed with about Sims out of high school was his arm strength and poise in the pocket. He was also a tremendous competitor,” Horne said.
“The rumors of Sims to UVa have been going on for a while now, and it’s likely that Charlottesville would be a serious option he would want to explore if indeed he is transferring,” Horne added. “UVa’s quarterback situation looks a lot better than it did at this time a year ago, with rising junior Michael Rocco looking comfortable and performing well as the starter. Still, in my mind you can’t turn down a player of Sims’ talent level. He may not have won the starting quarterback spot at Alabama, but he still has the tools to be an outstanding college quarterback. And when you are in a building mode like Virginia is, you need those potential big-timers whenever you can get them.”
Stay plugged into TheSabre.com to see what unfolds on the Sims’ front. (Update since this was posted: Sims, Alabama make his transfer official.)
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Virginia men’s lacrosse team faces Penn in Denver tonight in the Mile High Classic. You can watch the 7:30 p.m. game on ESPN3.com. In the meantime, check out The Afternoon Break‘s selected video for today.
Inside Lacrosse took an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at the Virginia Cavaliers lacrosse team as it prepared to play Syracuse in one of the sports most anticipated match-ups earlier this season.
- Here’s an EDGE subscriber thread on Sims.
- Taylor Barnette is the latest name on the basketball recruiting radar. Read threads about it here and here.
- On the baseball board, fans wonder how many innings Justin Thompson can give in a week. There’s also a thread talking about the potential pro prospects for several Cavaliers. The Hoos are at Miami for a series this weekend. All three games are televised. Check your local listings for availability.
- Former men’s soccer player Chris Agorsor has been in message board threads here and here this week. Here’s a Richmond Times-Dispatch article on him joining the Kickers. Jeff White over at VirginiaSports.com published this article about UVa’s incoming recruits this week too.
- Football fans can check out this video of the Hoos visiting the Charlottesville Boys and Girls Club.
- On The Corner, 1995hoo provided some photo links of the space shuttle over New York. Check it out. There’s also this thread about “30 Rock”, the TV creation of Hoo Tina Fey.
This new portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s retweet is from UVa and New York Giants fan Tim Coughlin.
tcough14 – Unbelievably impressed by @ChrisCanty99 speaking last night at annual UVA football event in NYC, he is a great Cav and he is a NYGiant