The Virginia tennis programs are hosting NCAA Tournament play for the third straight year, according to this VirginiaSports.com news release.
The 24-1 men’s team earned the No. 3 overall seed. The Hoos have made seven straight trips to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals and they earned semifinal appearances in four of the past five years. The Cavaliers were the runner-up last season. UVa opens with Fairleigh Dickinson; the winner meets the VCU-Columbia winner in the second round.
The 18-7 women seek another successful NCAA Tournament run this season after the program advanced to the round of 16 for the first time ever last season. Virginia tied a program record this season with seven ACC victories. The Hoos face Fairleigh Dickinson as well in the first round; the winner will face the Tennessee-VCU winner in the second round.
The women’s first match is scheduled for Friday at 2 p.m. with the next round set for 3 p.m. on Saturday. The men’s first match is set for noon on Saturday with the second round set for noon on Sunday.
There’s a lot of chatter about the teams’ matches on the tennis message board so take a look there for the scoop on the postseason action. Sabre poster CharlestonSC also created a bracket challenge on the Tennis Recruiting Network so click here if you want to join the fun.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
Sabre TV has featured some basketball recruiting highlights from this past weekend’s 2012 Nike EYBL event in Hampton. Today’s featured video in The Afternoon Break is of point guard recruit Anthony Barber.
- On the football board, some of UVa’s NFL free agent signees are being talked about here. Poster pawleyhoo suggests watching the movie The Fifth Quarter and other fans agree; it’s about former Wake Forest linebacker Jon Abbate. FirstYearHoo wants to know where the over-under wins mark should be set for UVa this year – what do you think?
- On the basketball board, Axtun pointed out potential recruit Phil Booth in this thread and there’s a great conversation started by uvadeac92 here.
- On the baseball board, Wahoosyourdaddy takes a look at post-exam hitting numbers here, while Sabre Rattler wonders if the Hoos can catch the Heels in the Coastal standings. Also, Will Roberts has been called up and there’s a post on recent RPI ratings too.
- On the lacrosse board, there’s a discussion about separated shoulders. The Daily Progress’ Whitey Reid made a blog post about injured midfielder Chris LaPierre.
- The men’s crew team (club) is going to the Windermere Cup.
- One of the classic topics on The Corner is often driving directions and suggestions. Notorious KOM asked about Charlottesville to Crystal City routes here. Also on the driving (and hiking) front, M.C. Hoo asked about Blue Ridge Parkway spots. In non-driving Corner news, Hoogle.com is looking for a great guacamole recipe and TulaneUVa needs a graduation gift.
This new portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s retweet comes from UVa film maker and Sabre contributor Kevin Edds. Remember, you can buy Edds’ “Wahoowa: The History Of Virginia Cavalier Football” DVD from Sabre sponsor UVA Bookstores!.
@UVaFBallHistory – How about some love for Wahoo baseball? They’re surging. And still very little acclaim for making college baseball’s “Final Four” last year!