Jerry Ratcliffe over at The Daily Progress wrote an article about the growing quarterback ranks at Virginia, while The Roanoke Times’ Doug Doughty’s weekly UVa Insider column focuses on the same topic.
That’s because another QB recruit committed to the Hoos this week. As Sabre recruiting analyst Chris Horne covered in articles here and here, Ocean Lakes High School (Virginia Beach, VA) quarterback Corwin “Turtle” Cutler gave a verbal commitment to the Cavaliers this week. That gives UVa the following quarterbacks scheduled to be on scholarship in the same year: Michael Rocco, David Watford, Phillip Sims, Greyson Lambert, Matt Johns, Brendan Marshall and Cutler. Of course, Rocco is the returning starter with just two years of eligibility remaining (and a redshirt available). Every other QB on that list has at least three years of eligibility remaining and everyone but Sims has a redshirt option on the table too.
Throughout the week, there have been a lot of message board conversations about Virginia’s quarterback situation. From talent level to depth to “too many”, the opinions – as one expects – vary.There’s new a thread starting here on TheSabre.com’s football board about the QB competition now. So what do fans think? How do you see the battle playing out?
One thing is certain. Quarterback will be an interesting position to track for years to come.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Afternoon Break includes a daily video. With all the chatter out there about Florida State and conference shuffling, today’s pick features highlights from the 1995 Florida State vs. Virginia game. UVa won 33-28!
- The EDGE subscriber board has two great threads going right now. This one is about Bill Lazor’s offense and its future look, while this one continues the ACC’s future as realignment talk surfaces yet again.
- The football board has more ACC talk too. And another one. There’s also this thread about first Scott Stadium games attended.
- The hoops talk is recruiting focused with threads on Anthony Barber and Matt Thomas, two players the Hoos are recruiting. There’s also this thread on coach Tony Bennett’s two big recruiting classes at UVa.
- The lacrosse board has posts on the surface at Klockner and the team’s new uniforms.
- Follow the men’s tennis match with your fellow Hoos on the tennis board! UVa takes on Cal at 4 p.m.
- The Corner has threads on the movie Battleship, the TV show 30 Rock, a UVa pictorial, and Facebook.
- With some of the posts on the baseball board, it seems the close games are rattling some UVa fans. Ha!The Hoos topped the Terps 7-6 on Thursday night.
This portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s tweet comes from @michaelpRTD. Michael Phillips covers UVa for the Richmond Times-Dispatch.