Virginia football coach Mike London announced that senior Steve Greer has been added as a team captain for the upcoming season.
“I was reviewing the voting for the team captains and noticed that Steve Greer was just one vote shy of being selected by his teammates,” London said in a news release. “Steve has meant a lot to our football program over the past four years and I think it is appropriate he serve as one of our team’s captains for his senior season. He and the other captains will do a great job representing our team this fall.”
Greer led the team in tackles last season from his middle linebacker position; he also led the team in tackles in 2009. Last seasons, his efforts earned him second-team All-ACC honors. Greer posted 103 tackles and 2 sacks in 2011 as the Hoos made a run to the Chick-fil-A bowl.
Talk about Greer’s new role here.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Afternoon Break includes a daily video. Today’s video features alum Katie Couric and her 2012 Virginia graduation commencement speech. The most recent class of UVa graduates experienced Final Exercises this past weekend.
- With conference realignment rumors swirling, the “what if” game is always fun to play. What if this school joined the ACC? What if that school went to the Big 10. Here are some threads playing the hypothetical realignment game of musical chairs: click here and here. There’s also this thread on ACC Commissioner John Swofford.
- On the EDGE board, there’s a thread from LTHoo on Coach London and a recent speech and a Corban Collins update from Chris Horne as well as threads on men’s tennis and baseball.
- The men’s basketball board has a good conversation going on Mike Scott here. That thread grew out of this article from Streaking The Lawn. There’s also this thread on incoming post players in the ACC.
- Baseball fans are watching the ACC Tournament together on the baseball message board, but there’s also this thread on realignment from a baseball point of view.
- The men’s tennis team suffered a heartbreaking loss to USC in the National Championship match. The tennis message board is looking back at the match and the season while looking forward to the future. Here’s a great thread comparing USC and UVa. This one is about hosting the NCAA’s Sweet 16.
- The Corner variety pack has threads on BBQ in Memphis, today’s Google doodle, and Michael Jordan’s house for sale.
This portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s tweet comes from @katiecouric. Katie Couric, a 1979 UVa graduate, is bringing her new talk show “Katie” to television on Sept. 10.
Here’s the photo from that Tweet: