In the most recent edition of The Afternoon Break, we shared an this ESPN.com article that quoted ACC commissioner John Swofford on the future of a Division I football playoff system. The BCS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick have since reached an agreement on a new four-team playoff format. The proposal must be adopated by the BCS presidential oversight committee, which meets June 26 in Washington, D.C., in order to go into effect for the 2014 season.
Here’s more on the details from this ESPN article:
“Sources told ESPN.com that under the recommended model, four participating teams would be selected by a committee, which would consider certain criteria such as conference championships and strength of schedule.
The two national semifinal games would be played within the existing BCS bowl games (Fiesta, Orange, Rose and Sugar) on a rotating basis, with the host sites being predetermined before each season. The national championship game would be offered to the highest bidding city.”
What do you think? Share your thoughts on the proposed playoff system in this football message board thread.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Afternoon Break includes a daily video. Today’s pick features soccer star Claudio Reyna, who helped lead UVa to three straight NCAA Championships in 1991, 1992, and 1993. A three-time first-team All-American after posting 21 goals and 22 assists in his Virginia career, Reyna and fellow Wahoo Tony were elected to the National Soccer Hall of Fame Class of 2012. Read more about it here and take a look at this Reyna tribute video from his days with the New York Red Bulls.
- Long-time – and by long-time, we’re talking 29 years with the Hoos! – UVa media relations guru Rich Murrary is retiring today. There are several must-read links out there. First up, there’s this blog post from co-worker Vincent Briedis. Also check out two blog posts from the Daily Press’ David Teel (click here) and The Daily Progress’ Whitey Reid (click here). There’s also this men’s basketball message board thread where you can share any thoughts you have for the incomparable Mr. Murray!
- On the football front, there are football board threads on UVa’s future at defensive tackle, the recent APR report, and recruiting target Taquan Mizzell.
- The baseball board loves Hoos in the pro ranks! Talk about it here.
- There’s a thread on the lacrosse board discussing how Duke beats UVa.
- There’s plenty of chatter on the Sullivan story on The Corner, but you’ll have to pick your own thread. Looking for something less controversial, here’s The Corner Variety Pack: Samsung TV class action info, new phone opinions, dealing with deer, and the TV show Mad Men.
This portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s retweet is from Virginia Baseball (follow the program @UVABaseball):
@UVABaseball: Keith Werman in pro debut in rookie ball w/AZL Mariners last night: 2-for-3, RBI, 3 BB.