Monday’s SabreMail (Always free on The Sabre, SabreMail has been keeping Hoo fans in the weekly loop since 2001! Sign up here.) let UVa fans know that Syracuse was officially joining the ACC in 2013 as announced by the school and the Big East. On Wednesday, Pittsburgh and the Big East announced that the Panthers will follow the same route and join the ACC in 2013.
In an official news release, Steve Pederson, Athletic Director for the University of Pittsburgh said: “We have appreciated and enjoyed our membership in the Big East and wish them much success in the future. We are anxious to compete in our final season in the Big East and look forward to an exciting future in the Atlantic Coast Conference.” Pederson met with the media as well and that video is available here.
Pitt will join Virginia in the ACC’s Coastal Division for football.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Afternoon Break includes a daily video. In honor of Pitt’s ACC arrival, today’s pick features highlights from the 2003 Continental Tire Bowl where Virginia defeated Pitt, 23-16. The video is courtesy of Sabre poster and From Old Virginia blogger MaizeAndBlueWahoo.
- On the EDGE board, there’s a basketball recruiting thread on potential target Schuyler Rimmer. There’s also this update on offensive lineman Luke Bowanko.
- On the football board, there’s this thread on rule changes and this one on UVa’s football color analyst for radio. This thread is about recruit Taquan Mizzell.
- The basketball board has this thread on the aforementioned Rimmer as well as this one on point guard recruit Devon Hall.
- The women’s basketball board is talking about the 2013 recruiting class here.
- The Corner variety pack: heat pumps, UVa and online courses, iPads overseas, Wilco, and a trip to D.C.
This portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s retweet is from Rick Randall (follow @randallball), who covers the Seattle Mariners system at SeattleClubhouse.com for Fox Sports’ Scout.com network.