Virginia seniors Oday Aboushi and Steve Greer have named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Team in voting conducted by the media at the annual ACC Football Kickoff. Aboushi, who lines up at offensive tackle, and Greer, who lines up at middle linebacker, are two of the 25 players selected to the preseason team. Both players were named second-team All-ACC after the 2011 season.
The latest news is part of what has been a honor-heavy preseason for the two players. Aboushi, who has started 25 straight games at UVa, received preseason All-American recognition courtesy of Athlon Sports and landed a spot on the Outland Trophy watch list. Greer, who led Virginia in tackles a year ago, made the watch lists for the Nagurski Trophy, the Lombardi Award, and the Lott IMPACT Trophy.
Read the official release here.
Hoo-Tube Video Of The Day
The Afternoon Break includes a daily video. This Friday, the 2012 Olympics open in London so this week The Afternoon Break is featuring Dawn Staley in the video section. Staley, who was inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in early June, is a three-time Olympic gold medalist (1996, 2000, 2004) and she carried the flag for the USA in the opening ceremony for the 2004 Olympics.
- On the football board, there are threads on recent commit Malcolm Cook, a Rocco vs. Sims comparison, and a thank you to the Sabre community.
- On the basketball board, there are threads on Mike Scott’s chances to be on an NBA roster this season and Jake O’Brien’s scheduled UVa visit.
- The baseball board features thread topics on Davenport construction and Chris Taylor’s call-up.
- The lacrosse board is talking about this article on Ryan Tucker in this thread.
- The Corner variety pack: novels similar to Vince Flynn, cooking at college, seeing Boston with a 2-year old, a trip to New York, and Hoos with gold medals.
This portion of the break looks at TheSabre.com’s favorite Twitter retweet of the day. Follow @thesabre.
Today’s retweet is from UVa safety Anthony Harris (follow @HOOSDatDude).