The “Week In Review” will be a weekly feature throughout the 2012 regular season and into the playoffs. It’s a look at how UVa’s recruits performed on the gridiron in the past week. Here is how last week played out for the Cavs’ recruits…
- Zach Bradshaw, LB/WR, Damascus (MD)
Damascus is a perfect 5-0 after beating Sherwood, 23-20. Bradshaw had six receptions for 78 yards, including what the Washington Post described as a “diving highlight-reel grab” that set up one score. He also returned a punt 73 yards to set up another score.
- Malcolm Cook, S/ATH, Fork Union Military Academy (VA)
Fork Union has now won five straight after a season-opening loss to Hermitage. This past weekend, Malcolm Cook and the FUMA defense shutout Valley Forge in a 33-0 route.
- Hipolito Corporan, CB, Westside (Houston, TX)
Westside destroyed Chavez, 58-7, for its second straight win. The team is now 3-2 heading into Friday night’s contest against Westbury.
- Corwin “Turtle” Cutler, QB, Ocean Lakes (Virginia Beach, VA)
Cutler turned in an efficient performance as Ocean Lakes defeated Beach District rival Salem, 21-15. On the night, the 6’3″, 190-pound signal caller completed 10 of 18 passes for 109 yards and one touchdown. He threw no interceptions. The Dolphins improve to 6-0 on the year, while Salem falls to 4-1. Both teams have legitimate state title hopes this season.
- Jack English DT/TE, St. Christopher’s (Richmond, VA)
St. Christopher’s lost to Benedictine, 35-18, to drop to 3-2 on the season. Fork Union is up next for the Saints.
Good Counsel enjoyed a bye week. This Friday, the 4-1 Falcons host WCAC rival DeMatha Catholic.
- Tim Harris, CB, Varina (VA)
Harris and the Blue Devils defense shined in a 27-0 shutout of Lee-Davis. Varina improves to 3-1 on the year.
- Brad Henson Jr., OL, Monsignor Donovan (Toms River, N.J.)
Monsignor Donovan (2-1) was idle this past week but will take on Point Pleasant Boro this Friday night.
- Keeon Johnson, WR, A.L. Brown (Kannapolis, N.C.)
A.L. Brown escaped with a 38-34 win over Cox Mill. The Wonders are 6-1.
Johnson has missed the last several games with a toe injury.
- Zack Jones, WR, Oscar Smith (Chesapeake, VA)
The Tigers are 4-1 on the year after defeating Lakeland, 38-9.
- Micah Kiser, LB, Gilman (Baltimore, MD)
Gilman (3-2) routed Mount St. Joseph, 37-7. Kiser had eight tackles as the Greyhounds’ defense dominated.
- Jack McDonald, OL, Boston College High (Boston, MA)
BC High is 1-3 after falling big to St. Peter’s Prep (Jersey City, N.J.), 56-0. The Eagles have been shutout in all three of their losses.
- Taquan “Smoke” Mizzell, RB, Bayside (Virginia Beach, VA)
Mizzell accounted for all three of Bayside’s touchdowns in a 22-6 win over Landstown. The Marlins are now 4-2.
Smoke’s night included touchdown runs of 5, 6, and 2 yards.
- Sadiq Olanrewaju, OL, Salisbury School (CT)
Salisbury is now 2-0 after handling Berkshire School (Sheffield, MA), 34-0.
- LaChaston Smith, LB, South Iredell (Statesville, N.C.)
South Iredell downed Maiden, 33-10, to move to 6-1 on the year. Smith hopes to be able to return soon after suffering a broken fibula in South Iredell’s season opener.
- Donta Wilkins, DT/OL, Potomac (Dumfries, VA)
Potomac fell to 2-3 after losing to Osbourn, 30-14.
- Chris Nelson, DT, Victory Christian Academy (Lakeland, FL), Class of 2014 recruit
VCA is 1-3 after losing to Agape Christian, 28-12. The Storm trailed by only two, 14-12, heading into the fourth quarter.
Week In Review, August 28
Week In Review, September 3
Week In Review, September 10
Week In Review, September 17
Week In Review, September 24